I'm an open source enthusiast since the day my Windows machine had a total crash in 2008. The crash was caused by a driver problem of the motherboard. Back then I had some Linux experience from my education, so I switch completely to Ubuntu.
The more I worked with Ubuntu I started to tweak it to my liking and in the end I had my personal minimalistic setup with
- a personal Desktop based on Openbox, SLiM and tint2.
- ZSH as my interactive shell
- and vim as my standard editor
With the release of Ubuntu 10.04 I switched my desktop to FreeBSD 8.1 and was surprised to see, that it was much easier to get my personal setup running on FreeBSD than on Ubuntu.
So since 2010 I'm a happy user of FreeBSD.
- Unix & Linux 8.4k 8.4k 55 gold badges3232 silver badges4848 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 859 859 1414 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Vi and Vim 474 474 22 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Information Security 323 323 22 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Area 51 151 151 33 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 326 How to go to the previous working directory in terminal?
- 72 Why is root login via SSH so bad that everyone advises to disable it?
- 29 Poweroff or Reboot as normal User
- 20 In which cases is SIGHUP not sent to a job when you log out?
- 16 Why does no one use the true Bourne shell as /bin/sh?
- 16 How do I install the latest gcc on FreeBSD?
- 15 How to make a program that finds id's of xinput devices and sets xinput some settings
- View more network posts →