My first contact with Unices was in 1990 or 1991, on a friend's machine (he'd connected a few modems to it and we all dialled in). My second one was in 1992, with Minix (the only *nix I could run on my 286 box). My third one was Linux in November 1993 (Linux 0.99.12, SLS distribution), and I haven't looked back since. These days, I make my living deploying and tending *nix boxen.
Member for 7 years, 7 months
6 profile views
Last seen Nov 19 '14 at 19:09
- Unix & Linux 15.1k 15.1k 11 gold badge5151 silver badges6969 bronze badges
- Electrical Engineering 668 668 66 silver badges1616 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 381 381 33 silver badges55 bronze badges
- Area 51 351 351 88 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 349 349 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 141 How do you extract a single folder from a large tar.gz archive?
- 81 What does dash "-" at the end of a command mean?
- 74 Can a terminal emulator be as fast as TTY 1-6?
- 63 Need explanation on Resident Set Size/Virtual Size
- 63 How can we change root password?
- 45 What is the purpose of multiple swap files
- 36 Limits on the number of file descriptors
- View more network posts →