I refer others to these posts constantly; I may as well put them here.
Shell Scripting Basics
- Why is using a shell loop to process text considered bad practice?
- Why does my shell script choke on whitespace or other special characters?
- Why is printf better than echo?
- Why is looping over find's output bad practice?
- Are there naming conventions for variables in shell scripts?
- What are the shell's control and redirection operators?
- Have backticks (i.e. `cmd`) in *sh shells been deprecated?
Also highly recommended:
Outside the Box
Member for 3 years, 11 months
74 profile views
Last seen Aug 21 at 21:37
- Unix & Linux 24.4k 24.4k 1010 gold badges7070 silver badges183183 bronze badges
- Academia 4k 4k 11 gold badge1010 silver badges1616 bronze badges
- The Workplace 3.5k 3.5k 22 gold badges1111 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 3k 3k 11 gold badge99 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- Mathematics 2.7k 2.7k 1010 silver badges2828 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 400 How to deal with an employer who refuses to allow copyright attribution in software
- 255 Only one student answered an exam question - and I strongly suspect he cheated
- 236 Why couldn't Republicans who voted to repeal Obamacare so many times under Obama do it under a Republican president?
- 180 Why is looping over find's output bad practice?
- 146 The teacher erased 3 pages of my 5 year old's completed homework
- 116 Server admin sent me a private key to use. Why?
- 104 Net Neutrality and Stack Overflow / Stack Exchange
- View more network posts →
Top tags (28)
49 Do we still like hats? Dec 4 '15
19 Why are there tags for “jobs” and “job-control”? Aug 16 '16
11 Are tag wikis mostly just for Stack Overflow? Jan 12 '18
5 Delete, wait and see or leave? Sep 23 '16
4 Cleanup of the packaging tags Oct 24 '15