This site has serious issues, core issues. Some of them could be solved. I wonder if the community is developed enough to correctly deal with them.
As comments have become a hold place for (permanent) opinions.
The first issue is that we should have a rule like:
No (long-term) comments.
Comments are second class citizens on the Stack Exchange network, not designed to hold information for all eternity. They may get cleaned up at any time. Generally, truly important information should be incorporated into an answer anyway (either by posting a new answer, if the information answers the question at least partially, or by editing an existing answer, if the information is a minor complement or clarification of that answer).
- second class citizens: So, question and answer content should override comments.
- hold information for all eternity: So, they should expire: When? In three months?
- may get cleaned up at any time: Then, do clean them, no problem.
- truly important information should be incorporated into an answer: Great idea, let's enforce it.
- Comments should be incorporated to question/answers or will be removed in 3 months.
- If the question/answer doesn't incorporate a comment, other users are invited to edit the question/answer to incorporate them.
- After 3 months any comment will be erased.