I just killed best-practises (a misspelling of a meta-tag). I'm not fond of tips-and-tricks, troubleshooting, homework (homework discussion) or unix (unix tag discussion) either. Will anyone speak up for these tags?
Aside: I encourage y'all to go over the tag list and
- Write tag wikis for the tags that lack one (or improve existing ones).
There's no consensus on what a good tag wiki looks like, but here are a few tips:
- Copy-paste from Wikipedia is not a good idea. Describe what the tag is about, link to Wikipedia, but concentrate on what people come to SE for: troubleshooting and howtos.
- Link to the most interesting questions (not necessarily the most viewed ones, which is what
- Link to related tags, explaining how they are related. This is especially important if there's a risk of confusion: direct readers to the appropriate tag.
- Suggest synonyms where two tags are used for essentially the same purpose. (If you have ≥2500 rep, go to the
synonymspage for the tags with the most uses. Otherwise, post on Meta or in chat.)
- If a tag is used on very few questions and is very close to an existing tag, it may be best to just remove it.