This answer has keyboard (<kbd></kbd>) tagged characters as follows:

... Ctrl+Shift+U then A, E, Space ...

Does this mean I have to press six buttons at the same time? If not what is the convention on this site? ¹

¹ A similar question was asked in a comment to the answer

  • 1
    Wouldn't it be easier to just comma-separate them or something? Jun 17, 2015 at 15:01
  • @MichaelMrozek That is certainly visual easier to recognize. and probably better understandable without explanation. If there is no other/better suggestion I will change it that way (and my other answers where I used just juxtaposed keyboard characters).
    – Anthon
    Jun 17, 2015 at 17:05

1 Answer 1


The typical convention used on this site is that all characters have their own <kbd></kdb> box and that multi-character entries are only used for Enter, Space, Tab, etc.

If there is a "+" between two keys that means that the characters have to be typed at the same time. If there is a comma (or nothing) you type the characters one after another. I have not seen any particular convention for press and hold X then press Y.

Typing (i.e. press and release) A normally results in lowercase 'a'. To get 'A' this would be represented as Shift+A. It is never a as the actual character on the keyboard is uppercase.

The sequence Ctrl+Shift+U then A, E, Space means:

  • press Ctrl+Shift+U at the same time and release
  • type A (type means: press and release)
  • type E
  • type Space

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .