Inspired by this post, plus some discussions on chat. This is a survey, and is intended to be a little more scientific than @FaheemMitha's question. If you think that something should be represented here, feel free to add it. Bear in mind that the results for the tacked-on response will be skewed, because some people will have seen the question but not your answer.
This survey has a couple different categories. Sorry about that; I didn't want to clog up Meta with a bunch of survey questions.
Here's how it works:
- If you have read this whole thread, upvote the answer that says so, even if you don't do anything else. This is to determine how many people have looked at the survey.
- Go through the answers. If one applies to you, upvote it.
Friendly reminder that since votes are anonymous, so is this survey.
Here's a helpful index of the possible responses, organized by topic.
How do you feel about free software
- I use free software for its utility
- I use free software for ethical reasons
- I use free software for ethical reasons, but I choose to make permanent exceptions
What desktop environment you use
- I use GNOME
- I use KDE
- I use Unity
- I use something that looks like GNOME 2
- I use something that looks like KDE 3
- I use a desktop environment targeted at low-resource environments
- I use another obscure desktop environment (feel free to tell us what)
- I use a window manager (feel free to tell us what)
Your choice in shell
This is for interactive console use, not shell scripting.